UFI â€“ the Global Association of the Exhibition Industry â€“ has updated its database of initiatives and projects from the exhibition industry that support the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations (UNSDGs).
This resource showcases work done by organisers, venues, and service providers. It was initiated by the UFI Working Group on Sustainability and put together in collaboration with Greenview. The whole concept was also shared for use by the Joint Meetings Industry Council, to expand the compilation to other segments of the event industry.
The full report is available here, and is where details of the 25 submissions can be found. These submissions cover the following 14 countries â€“ Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Mexico, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, the Netherlands, the UK and US.
Each contribution falls in one of the three following categories:
- Type I: Exhibition Theme: How the theme of the exhibition contributes to the SDGs
- Type II: Exhibition Operation: How the operator of the exhibition contributes to the SDGs
- Type III: Companyâ€™s Operations: How a companyâ€™s operations contribute to the SDGs.
In this collection of 25 case studies, five leading areas of best practices for the exhibition industry were identified:
- Spreading awareness about SDGs and advancing sustainable industries
- Taking consumption seriously and prioritising local suppliers
- Combating waste with collaborative efforts
- Putting it down in ink â€“ stipulating environmental terms in contracts
- Unveiling the secret to affordable and clean energy
Sixty-eight per cent of submissions cited a contribution to SDG 12 on Responsible Consumption and Production. Actions taken include purchasing from local suppliers where possible, reducing the usage of single-use plastic, reducing food wastage through composting or redistribution.
“Making our industry more sustainable in all aspects of the word is vital not only for our future but is also a moral obligation to the survival of our planet. The United Nationsâ€™ Sustainable Development Goals provide a framework where all businesses can show their respective contributions, and UFI is very happy to position the exhibition industry in this exercise,â€ť said UFI president Mary Larkin in a statement.
In addition, the UFI 9th Forum on Sustainability, a special UFI event, will be held in Paris, France, on May 13-15, 2020, and it will include discussions with experts on UNSDGs.