Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) is the world’s first venue to achieve the Platinum Level certification under the latest Events Industry Council (EIC) 2022 Sustainable Events Standards (SES) released in June 2022.
The standards have been expanded to include a stronger focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility and climate actions such as renewable energy and innovation, following extensive consultations with more than 300 leading practitioners.
This is the highest rating possible which recognises organisations with significant and measurable environmental or social performance.
Some of RWS’ efforts include:
- S$10 million (US$7.2 million) funding to RWS-NUS Living Laboratory, a five-year applied research collaboration to advance marine science, protect Singapore’s rich biodiversity and develop innovative decarbonization solutions to address real-world issues.
- Ongoing quadrupling of renewable energy capacity with the installation of new solar panels at 11 sites on its premises, which already hosts one of the largest solar photovoltaic systems in Singapore’s hospitality sector.
- Achieving waste to landfill diversion rate of over 20 per cent and recycling across 10 waste streams including plastic, paper and horticultural waste.
- Creating a culture of Diversity and Inclusion and being listed on Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index since 2021 for disclosure and support of diversity, inclusion, gender equality through policy development, representation and transparency.
- Making a positive impact on the community, clocking over 470,000 volunteer hours among employees including the managing of community care facilities, caring for the underprivileged and fundraising events.
RWS MICE & corporate sales assistant vice presidentm Adeline Lim, said, “The MICE industry has great potential in addressing environmental issues and making a positive impact on society. With the sector set to have a strong recovery, this is an opportunity to not only entrench our sustainability practices, but to also communicate to our delegates, guests and visitors that RWS is committed to environmentally and socially responsible practices needed to support long-term sustainability in our industry.
“We are honoured to be the first in the world to be certified according to EIC 2022 Sustainable Events Standards platinum level, it validates our commitment and energises us to take our efforts to the next level.”
This achievement adds to the slate of sustainability awards and accolades RWS has attained since it welcomed its first visitors in 2010. In 2021, RWS was the first destination in the world to be certified to both the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) Destination Criteria and GSTC Industry Criteria for Hotels. It was also conferred the Special Award for Sustainability in the Singapore Tourism Awards for two consecutive years (2021, 2022).
The integrated resort is set to host more than 200 business events by the end of 2022, attended by over 100,000 international and local delegates. These include the Singapore International Bunkering Conference and Exhibition, Singapore Week of Innovation and Technology, Amazon APJC Tech Summit, and BNI Global Convention 2022.